Tuesday 13 March 2012

What to do on your first day??

Assalamualaikum and Hye to everyone..

I created this blog dengan niat yang tulus dan ikhlas ingin membantu rakan-rakan diluar sana yang bakal masuk ke dunia kepeguaman dan dalam masa yang sama berkongsi pengalaman sebagai seorang Pelatih Dalam Kamar (PDK) or Pupils in Chambers. A lot of questions I heard from my colleagues, "What should I do on the first day?" "Should I sit in the library and read the books?" "Should I this, should I that?".

To answer the questions, let me tell you what I did and how it goes. First of all, make sure you and punctual; which means by 8.30, you should be there at the office. Dress in full court attire (first impression is always important), and smile as you enter your new firm's door. Greet the receptionist (if they have one) nicely. Inilah orang yang akan banyak membantu sepanjang anda di firm nanti. Make sure permulaan anda betul. 

Start with "Good Morning or Assalamualaikum". Then introduce yourself as a new chambering student. Usually, the receptionist will show you your desk. Settle down with all your stuffs, and start to greet everyone. BE HUMBLE~!! That is the main point! Perkenalkan diri anda, and say dat your are a new chambering student here and sila tunjuk ajar. Try to remember all the clerks name. By day 2 or 3, you should be able to know all the staffs. 

After getting to know the staffs, do your courtesy call to all the lawyers. Start with the Senior Partners. The usual question would be: "What do you want to do here?" Be prepared with a solid answer. Bagitau what department do you want and why you want it. For me, I told them that as I wouldn't have any locus until my short call, I would like to give a try on Conveyancing. As time goes by, maybe a lil bit of banking, general lit and corporate. Make sure what you are interested in are available in the firm. JANGAN cakap anda nak buat criminal law sedangkan kat firm tu takde buat criminal. You are killing yourself right there and then. 

After getting to know all the firm's personnel. Prepare your Petition for Admission (Borang 1,2 and 3). Where you can get it? You can print it here (in the next post). It might looked a little bit blur. Otherwise, you can purchase it for RM 5 at the Bar Council (bukan KL Bar ye...) It's your choice.

Masa I dulu, I prepare all the necessary documents on the 2nd day as on the 1st day sibuk sangat dok jumpa semua lawyer. Try the best untuk jumpa semua lawyer so that they feel that you are humble and willing to learn. So, in the next post, I will teach you how to isi the borang and how to file it. Till then. Enjoy your chambering life~ :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment